Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Music Wall

First things first. I've never been a "music person." Since I've put it in quotes, I suppose I should explain the term. In my mind, a music person is someone who cares deeply about music. They may or may not be a musician themselves, but they care deeply about music. This doesn't necessarily mean that they listen to it more than other people, but it does mean that they follow it more intently. They probably started going to concerts when they were fairly young, and they're constantly on the lookout for new music. They may have a specific genre they prefer, or they might listen to at least some artists in a wide range. Sadly, they're often incredibly elitist about all of this, and mainly seem interested in finding artists that next to no one listens to.

So that's not me. I may be a food snob, and I'm turning into a wine snob, but I've never been, and probably never will be a music snob. Still, that doesn't mean I don't listen to it, or have good taste in it. It just means it's a background impulse.

Still, when I was younger, I actively sought out new music, or at least music that was new to me. In my high school and college years especially, my tastes broadened quite a bit. However, in the time since, I've felt like I've hit the Music Wall. In short, I've stopped adding to my musical collection. Oh sure, I might pick up a new CD from an artist I like, and every now and then I'll listen to someone new, but that rate has slowed way down.

I think the biggest reason is that with the current technology, all of my music is incredibly accessible. Right now, as I sit at my computer writing this post, I have access to thousands of songs. While I obviously listen to some more than others, it's hard to imagine running out.

Another reason might be a natural product of getting older: since much new music is geared at the people who care the most about music (younger people), it's naturally going to pass over my head. Or under my feet, really.

Still, I think this is an interesting process. People don't stop watching new movies, or reading new books, but at some point in their life, most of them stop listening to new music. Perhaps music grounds us in a time of life more than those other forms. I know that for the rest of my life, "Basket Case" by Green Day will always make me feel like a 4th-grader, and reading Disclosure by Michael Crichton and not knowing what the word "cock-sucker" meant. Is that a feeling I want all the time? No, but it's a feeling that no new song (certainly no new Green Day song) could give me.

It could have been worse. Certain other authors on this blog hit the Music Wall years ago, much to my chagrin. Has this happened to you?

No comments: